Thursday 10 January 2013

Keep Calm and Get Oan Wae It: Scottish Adventure '12 Part I: Glasgow

Scotland, Days 1-3: Glasgow (14th-16th November 2012)

"Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." - Mark Twain

I could not be happier that instead of spending a meager weekend in Scotland as initially planned, I was able to immerse myself in the fascinating culture and mesmerizing beauty of Scotland for almost an entire week. Classes were suspended since it was Reading Week at Royal Holloway, and I decided to make the most out of it and visit Rudmila, one of my best friends from Mount Holyoke, who is currently studying abroad at the University of Glasgow in Scotland. Upon my arrival in Glasgow, it did not entirely feel like I had just stepped into another country, yet in some queer ways it did. It was quite early in the afternoon, yet the sun had set and the city was already in its nighttime attire. As we meandered into the bustling city center lined with shopping malls and myriad other stores, cafes and restaurants, I heard notes of the traditional Scottish bagpipe drifting towards me – it was then that it sunk in that I was in Scotland! We spent the rest of the evening wandering around the streets as Rudmila pointed out the numerous landmarks around the city center. After a wonderful dinner catching up on each others’ adventures so far, we retired early and went back to her dormitory, more because I wanted to avoid hauling  my carry-on suitcase around town rather than because I was worn out after my long train journey!

Glasgow City Center at night

My second day in Glasgow was a crisp, beautiful day – not as chilly as the previous day yet much colder when compared to the current temperature in London. However, the sun was up and it was a perfect day to go out and explore the city! Alas, although I myself was on temporary holiday, it was a Thursday and Rudmila had classes to attend. I was fascinated to discover that she was taking a lesson in learning to play the bagpipe - she could not have picked a better way to take home a slice of Scottish culture with her when this term is over! Since I was pretty much a stranger in this city and hours of daylight in good old United Kingdom were diminishing with every passing day, we did not get around to much exploring that day but just took more in of the vibrant city center and wandered around the numerous shopping arcades in the town square. I also got a taste of Glasgow’s famously dynamic nightlife as Rudmila and her friends took me to a Student Union party at night!

              

Lessons learnt/points noted that day:
 1. There is a statue of Adam Smith, the Father of modern economics, almost around every street corner in Glasgow (needless to clarify, he is probably the most distinguished alumna of the University of Glasgow!).
 2. Men in tartan kilts are not a myth but actually a commonplace sight in Scotland!

Day 3 reflected more of what I had expected Scottish weather to be like – a damp and overcast day with periodical bouts of rainfall every few hours. It wasn’t, however, enough to dampen our spirits since we had both by then pretty much become accustomed to the idiosyncrasies of British/Scottish weather. Rudmila did not have any lectures, so that morning she showed me around the campus of the University of Glasgow at the West End of the city. The West End of Glasgow has a trendy atmosphere, packed with numerous pubs, bars and quaint cafes. One of the oldest university campuses in the English-speaking world, the magnificent main building is an impressive structure that appropriately mirrors its heritage as one of the oldest university buildings in the United Kingdom. I was spellbound by the grandeur of old Scottish architecture, and thrilled to visit the famous Hunterian Galleries, which I had previously only seen in pictures. After Rudmila’s elaborate and extremely informative tour of the university campus (I must say she is indeed a fantastic tour guide!), we took the Glasgow subway to the city center since I wanted to visit the Clyde Riverside. One of the most curious things about Glasgow is its subway system – compared to the intricate subway maps I’m accustomed to after frequenting London and New York City, the sight of Glasgow’s tiny oval-shaped subway map struck me as hilarious yet absolutely adorable. The train literally goes around in a circle with fifteen stops, and it’s a tiny orange train which looks like it’s a character straight out of an animated cartoon film! It was dusk by the time we reached the Clyde Riverside, and the brilliantly lit bridges all across the river were a charming sight at night. Despite the freezing rain and forceful wind cutting through our skin and bones, we braved a walk to Glasgow Green, a park located on the north bank of the River Clyde. Next up we embarked on a search for the Clyde Auditorium, an iconic Glasgow landmark more commonly known as the Armadillo due to its structure. It took us quite some time and numerous detours to find it, but we finally did! By the end of the day we were supremely proud of ourselves for managing to visit every major tourist spot in Glasgow without being deterred by the cascading downpour. J


           
             The University of Glasgow Main Building                                      The Hunterian Galleries

Glasgow Subway Map!

Clyde Auditorium/ Armadillo
Lessons learnt/ points noted that day:
 1. Our lives would not be half of what it is without access to the ingenious technological masterpiece that is Google maps on our smartphones.
 2. Never wear ballet flats on a November day out in the UK again. Ever.
 3. Glasgow is THE city when it comes to cheap yet amazing food options!
 4.  I was pretty much under the impression that the Scottish accent is incredibly attractive. Two days in, I kind of don’t feel the same way anymore…

All in all, my short stay in Glasgow has been memorable in every way. Thank you Rudmila Salek for making it possible :)


No comments:

Post a Comment